Documents on the MGH and anti-Semitism
The MGH archive has grown and evolved with historical developments. In the turmoil of the Second World War, the original classification scheme separating the registry (business transactions and correspondence) and the work apparatuses came into disarray. Part of the archive was evacuated together with the MGH administration from Berlin to Pommersfelden in 1944. Another part ended up in Berlin-Dahlem in the „Geheimes Staatsarchiv Preußischer Kulturbesitz“ (secret archive of Prussian cultural assets). A third and important collection of work materials was preserved in the former „Akademie der Wissenschaften der DDR“ (DDR academy of sciences) in East Berlin. At the end of the 20th century, changes in the political situation allowed the reunification of the MGH archive.
Since the 2000s, the MGH archive has been progressively digitised, making it now possible to present exhibitions covering diverse periods of time and drawing from various collections. With the online finding aid and comprehensive persons index, the MGH archive is searchable from everywhere in the world. In particular, the material from the first half of the 20th century has been digitised and is freely available to consult.
The documents on exhibition here offer supplementary information to the person-related exhibits. They are not intended as a comprehensive treatment of the topic „MGH and anti-Semitism“, but rather as a stimulus for further study.